Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cali Sketches

Finally got around to scanning some sketches from the California trip. I didn't do nearly as many as I'd've liked to....I was hurried off to new places every time I sat down to draw! I suppose thats the drawback of going with lots of people who aren't artists...they don't understand that insatiable desire to draw everything you see. We still had a good time though. (all comments are now below their respective pictures...easier to read this way i think!)

Above is a sketch of Coronado, the little beachy resorty place in front of San Diego. Rather nice, 'cept I got shat on by a pidgeon.


And here's a very rough sketch of these awesome fallen tree trunks in Muir Woods, it looked like a huge organic robot heaving itself out of a river bed! I might have to do a photoshop painting of it...


San Diego Zoo was fabulous. Although zoo's always make me feel bad for the animals (being cooped up in cages all day), the ability to observe their habits is great :D I found these hippos just floating underwater next to each other....one of them would put one foot down on a big rock underwater and just float there! hard to think such massive creatures could float so well!


Monkeys, cats and bears. All the animals had a habit of putting their backs to me. humph.


Koalas and Elephants! I could have stayed at the elephant enclosure all day, I must've stood their and watched them wander around and feed themselves for about 25 minutes. Their trunks are just incredible!! so big and powerful, yet able to pick up the tiniest piece of straw! I wish I had a video camera to record it and do an animation off it. ::sigh::


A real pen drawing of my parent's lovely back deck.
Those were the hilights. We did a lot of driving and snapping photos....mostly driving.

No comments: