Sunday, March 15, 2009

Oils and kittens!

This week I forayed into the world of OIL PAINTING. Woah. I must say, it beats the pants off acrylics! Altho this was my official First Time painting with oils, I had lots of fun! Being able to put paint on your canvas and NOT have it dry in about ten microseconds is a blessing! That said, I did realize that I paint FAR too anally and need to loosen up a whole bunch. Need to not focus on creating something decent, but relax and let the paint lead. As such, I'm not really diggin' the painting and need to get it done and see where I stand then. Maybe I'll just gesso over it and start again.
While I was painting (oil paints and space to paint in all graciously lent to me by Nichole! thanks!!) I realized that I was using oils exactly like acrylics, which is probably not the best way to use them. I realized that when I mix colors on my palette I tend to mix every on top of each other...mostly because when I do this with acrylics, everything has already dried. Miraculously I managed to NOT get a big puddle of mud on there. heh. So this is Yavin The Fire-Eater:

It's been such beautifully warm weather this weekend, I finally had a chance to reopen the sunroom! Needless to say, the kittens are very happy about it. Skittles has already spent many hours sleeping in there and even managed to entertain a fly around the room! Somewhat documented it:

And just because its fun, here's Butter:

2 comments:

Plein Air Muse said...

Cuuute pic of Butter by that gorgeous door! Love the sketches of the fly hunting too. Nice start with the oils. You know those digital textures and layering that you like - oils are perfect for that!

Jason Kafalas said...

Looks awesome ^_^

And wow, great photo! Who knew we had such great textures at home :D

And Butter's eyes are brilliant here. Nice shot!