Monday, March 24, 2008

Trip to NYC

And now another post! This one's for our trip to NYC, which was great fun and exhausting to boot. Saturday we trundled off to MoMA for some contemporary artsy-ness. I was actually (and this is where I sound a bit snobbish) a tad bit dissapointed with the selection of stuff...I needed more paintings and less random video installations about naked women and barbed wire. Still, most of the sculptural exhibits were really cool - a nice use of odd materials to get an end product that looked cool AND was functional.

Anyway, after reaching the maximum amount of art we can intake in a day, we flopped down on the second floor and waited for everyone in our party to gather. While waiting, I sketched a couple shots of the huge lobby-ish area. I was mildly alarmed by how many people were sitting down with their heads in their hands, like the world was coming to an end.

More people...regrettabley they kept moving around...so I was stuck to gestures. I discovered that babies are incredibley tough to get down on paper - they're speedier movers than they would appear!! And I was about to finish off sketching a baby who was lolling around on the floor when a large fat man stood in my way...he must've been wearing about 4 camera bags.

NYC buildings from memory (done today while cooking dinner), because my stupid camera decided to run out of batteries halfway round the MoMA. A view from the MoMA itself (great view across the street to all those tall ny buildings), then a red stone building across from the old NY courthouse (goddamn my camera!! that building would look SO good with flying cars around it). And then some pinnacles of Trinity Church...ish...o.o;;

Here's a random note: best thing at MoMA? wasn't an exhibit, it was this little asian girl. By far and wide the MOST ADORABLE little girl I have ever seen. My god, Jason and I almost cried she was so cute (and we cursed our lack of camera). Her parents had taken her out of her little stroller and plopped her down in front of an exhibit of wacky chairs. She proceeded to stand there grinning, peace sign with one hand, clutching at something with the other hand and posed for a picture. The only way I could even remotely try to capture her cuteness was via anime. ::sigh:: So adorable.

No comments: